There is a growing trend of families looking to move to Thailand in order to choose the best education for their child. In cases like these, where families are not moving to Thailand for work purposes and cannot receive the standard Non-Immigration visa, they are often able to apply for Education Visas, with the support of their chosen school. International School Bangkok (ISB) supports many families in these situations and offers the opportunity to study abroad at one of the best international schools in Asia.
What is an education visa?
This is a visa specifically for foreign students who are looking to study in Thailand and have secured a place in a recognized institution, like ISB. There are specific requirements to acquire this visa, such as completing a particular number of hours per week of study or class time. However, if your child is in full education, these requirements will naturally be met.
The education visa is initially valid for a 90-day visa period and can be extended once you are in Thailand. Please speak to an embassy representative for more information about visa extensions and the processes that are involved.
What do I need to apply?
You will need a letter of acceptance from the school you would like your child to be enrolled in school. For example, if your family chooses ISB, then you’ll need a letter of acceptance from ISB to prove that your child will be attending a recognized educational institution.
Look through the links below for easy-access to the ISB application process documentation and procedures list.
Any nationality can apply for this visa. We have provided a list of a few general requirements for applying for an education visa:
- You must have a passport valid for at least 12 months from the planned date of arrival in Thailand (this can differ depending on the embassy)
- Your acceptance letter from the ISB admissions team
- Your application must be made outside of Thailand, at a relevant Thai embassy
- Recent passport photographs that meet the specifications for visa applications
- Complete and correct documentation forms for the application process
- Process the payment, usually paid in cash in USD, along with your application (this amount varies depending on the country and embassy you are applying from. Please check the embassy website that you wish to apply with for further details)
Each embassy will have a particular application process, forms, and requirements. It is important to check with your respective Thai Embassy or the embassy you wish to apply from, what these requirements are, as these may differ depending on the embassy and country location.
Below is a link which lists Thai Embassies worldwide to help you locate the most relevant Thai Embassy for your country of origin. From there you can contact a representative directly.
Download the ISB Education Visa Guide from ISB:
We have also created this easy 4-Step Education Visa Guide to help you through the entire process. You can download the ISB 4-Step Education Visa Guide by clicking the image below.