Credits & GPA
- One credit is given for the successful completion of a one-year course. Students are expected to remain in year-long courses for both semesters.
- One-half credit is given for the successful completion of a semester course.
- One-quarter credit is given for one semester’s satisfactory participation in the Teacher Internship and EAP Center. One quarter credit is given for satisfactory participation in Global Citizenship Week (GCW).
- Credit will be given only for courses taken while students are enrolled in grades 9 – 12.
- Auditing: although no credit is granted, students are required to do all class work. An audit must be granted by administrative approval. “Audit”will be entered on the permanent record.
- Late arrivals: Students must be present a minimum of 85% of the scheduled class periods for each course during a semester to receive credit, typically 7 class periods. Students admitted to ISB after 20 days of the beginning of a semester, and who have not attended school during the same school year, will be admitted on an audit basis for the semester with no credit being granted for coursework.
Grade Point Average (GPA)**
GPA is calculated on a 7-1 scale without weighting of any subjects.
High Honor Roll – GPA of 6.3 and above
Honor Roll – GPA of 5.9 and above
CAS = Creativity, Activity and Service
Courses with Pass/Fail Grades IB Theory of Knowledge (grade 11 only), Intensive Studies and EAL Enrichment have Pass/Fail grades.
Students who wish to graduate mid-year of Grade 12 must meet the following requirements:
- Complete a minimum of seven (7) semesters of high school level course work.
- Complete the last two (2) semesters at ISB.
- Meet ALL graduation requirements as listed in the Program of Studies, and earn a minimum of twenty-five (25) units of credit overall during the seven semesters.
- Achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above (ISB grades only).
- Demonstrate need for mid-year graduation: eg University entrance or family related issues
Students interested in Mid-Year Graduation must complete an application (available in the Counseling Center) and submit to your counselor no later than April 1 of the 6th semester of high school. Prior approval of any coursework taken outside of the regular ISB program must be obtained before the course begins.
Students who have a cumulative grade point average of 3.9 or higher will be graduated “With Academic Honors.”
Determination of honors diploma is computed according to the following guidelines:
- Only ISB work is considered. (including online IB courses)
- Evaluation is made relative to other ISB students.
- Attendance at ISB for 3 or more consecutive semesters is required.
- Only semester grades are used.
- Final projected grades for the semester prior to graduation will be used.